Manage episode 305527188 series 2793047
Michaela O’Donnell is the Executive Director of the Depree Center for Leadership at Fuller Theological Seminary and the author of Make Work Matter: Your Guide to Meaningful Work in a Changing World.
The world of work has changed. Rarely do people stay at the same company for decades (which used to be the norm). No people move from job to job every few years. The gig economy has change the world of work. And if you haven't noticed, the coronavirus pandemic has exacerbated all these changes.
In this episode, Michaela O'Donnell helps us understand the changing nature of work, not only for people in the marketplace, but also in the church.
THIS EPISODE'S HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
- Michaela O’Donnell is the Executive Director of the Depree Center for Leadership at Fuller Theological Seminary and the author of Make Work Matter: Your Guide to Meaningful Work in a Changing World.
- The most formative book Michaela O’Donnell has read is Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership by Ruth Haley Barton.
- Michaela shares what led her to write Make Work Matter.
- It’s important to have a good understanding of work because it is such a big part of our lives and is part of God’s creation intention for human beings.
- Michaela O’Donnell discusses how the world of work has changed in recent years and decades.
- In dealing with the changing nature of work, we need to recognize we are not alone and make space for our feelings.
- The changing nature of work invites us to engage in grief work.
- Michaela O’Donnell describes how resilience can help us navigate the changing world of work.
- The “entrepreneurial way,” as Michaela O’Donnell explains it, includes resilience, creativity, deepening in relationship, and the skill of empathy.
- The story of the Good Samaritan is a helpful way of thinking about the connection between empathy and entrepreneurship.
- Michaela O’Donnell reminds us that we can experience “small r resurrections” in the midst of the challenges of work.
RELEVANT RESOURCES AND LINKS:
- Michaela O'Donnell:
- Books mentioned:
- Make Work Matter: Your Guide to Meaningful Work in a Changing World, by Michaela O’Donnell
- Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership, by Ruth Haley Barton
- Tempered Resilience, by Tod Bolsinger
- Church Leadership Institute
- Related Episodes:
Learn how to lead your church into ministry that matters. Check out the online course, Engaging God's Mission.