Manage episode 315626598 series 2803603
Welcome back to another episode of Every Day Oral Surgery! Today I talk to oral surgeon and movie maker, Dr. Eli Tabari. Tune in to find out why engaging in a passion project can be so rewarding, and the words of advice Eli has for anyone hesitating to embark on their passion project. We discuss the challenges Eli faced in making the movie, as well as why he splits his time between hospitals, trauma, and private practice. Hear case studies where Eli has learned important life lessons, and why young surgeons should learn about business finance. Get to know Eli through rapid-fire questions, and so much more in this inspirational episode!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Welcome to Dr. Eli Tabari, where he studied and how he got into maxillofacial surgery through trauma departments.
- How growing up in the area where you choose to set your private practice can benefit you.
- Why Eli chose to make a movie and the serendipitous events that lead to its production.
- The challenges Eli faced to make the movie: shoestring budgets, full-time work, and finding locations.
- How the name “Back in The NO” came about.
- What motivated Eli to make the movie: the love he has for oral surgery.
- Words of advice for others with passions outside of oral surgery: “Go for it”, and “If you can, do it now”.
- How Eli got actors and actresses to work for free or experience.
- Why Eli focuses on infections in the hospital, and why it's so important to build relationships with anesthesiologists.
- Case studies where the role of the oral surgeon and the anesthesiologist overlap.
- The pros and cons of dividing your time between hospitals, private practice, and trauma.
- Why Eli admires Every Day Oral Surgery as a passion project.
- Advice to young surgeons getting out of school: enjoy every minute, and learn about business finances.
- Rapid-fire questions: hobbies that sustain Eli ('80s music and book writing), his favorite movie (Back to the Future), the forceps used to extract tooth number 14 and so much more!
- Books that Eli and Grant enjoyed, and why.
- Why Eli loves the episode of Seinfeld where they traveled to LA, and the well-written episode of The Office addressing racism.
- How you can contact Eli.
- Another book (and movie!) recommendation: Ready Player One.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Dr. Eli Tabari Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Eli Tabari Phone — 559-246-1303
Dr. Grant Stucki Email — email@example.com
Dr. Grant Stucki Phone — 720-441-6059