Building Great Teams: An Interview with RADM Bruce Gillingham, MD, FAOA, Surgeon General of the US Navy
Manage episode 288774911 series 2903350
Rear Admiral Bruce L. Gillingham, MD, FAOA, Surgeon General of the US Navy, Chief of the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, and an orthopaedic surgeon, joins AOA hosts Charles A. Goldfarb, MD, FAOA, and Alexander Aleem, MD for a vibrant discussion on leadership.
Drawing from a rich career in medicine as a leader with the US Navy, Rear Admiral Gillingham discusses:
- Book recommendations for developing leaders
- The interview questions to ask to learn deeply about your candidate
- Key lessons on teams from operational successes in Iraq that the civilian surgeon can learn from
- Advice for orthopaedic surgeons looking to become leaders within their organizations
- His personal leadership journey
- COVID-19 and the Navy
- High Reliability
On June 10, 2020, Rear Admiral Gillingham delivered the Howard H. Steel Lecture at the 2020 Virtual AOA Annual Leadership Meetings Opening Ceremony.
To view this thought-provoking presentation, register for the Virtual AOA Annual Leadership Meeting here. Registrants can access the recording here.
Rear Admiral's Book Recommendations:
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- Managing the Unexpected by Karl E. Weick and Kathleen Sutcliffe
- First Break All the Rules by Marcus Buckingham
Special thanks to Peter Martin of Peter Martin Music, Inc (@iampetermartin) for the jazz introduction and conclusion.