Manage episode 292951364 series 2468914
Have you ever had to pivot prematurely? Are you in a place in life where you’re called to shift?
If you’ve ever battled with imposter syndrome or had to deal with the repercussions of your own perfectionism, you’ve probably assumed that self reflection was the solution to your problems. Unfortunately, self-reflection is not enough when it comes to chasing purpose.
Certain mentalities must be broken before you can truly self reflect, and you first have to give yourself grace to discover who you are, to set boundaries and to figure out what you want out of life. Once you’ve conquered these questions, then you can create a tangible plan that solves your internal issues and places you in position to pivot with purpose.
Today’s guest is a woman of great wisdom who truly understands what it means to give yourself grace.
Melissa Fredericks aka MrsKevOnStage is host of The Love Hour podcast along with her husband, Kevin Fredericks aka KevOnStage. With great humor, apparent love, and relatable insight, these "marriage champions" share their experiences and address various relationship questions and concerns.
Melissa is also the renowned author of the book, Journey to Self-Love, a literal road map to help women find themselves and embrace their inner beauty. She captivates audiences with talk of her personal journey of self-discovery and self-love, while also challenging other women to find themselves, lovingly accept their uniqueness, and realize their beauty and self-worth.
Key discussion points from this episode include:
- Clearance Section Mentality - 6:19
- Playing The Background - 8:32
- Hiding In Order To Be Humble - 15:56
- Creating Your Own Space - 19:33
- Give Yourself Grace - 22:10
- Be Bold & Set Boundaries - 35:00
This episode is brought to you by our complimentary Purpose Chasers community. Want to share your aha moments with a group of like-minded purpose chasers from all over the world? Visit iamapurposechaser.com and join NOW.
The Grace to Try Takeaways
- “The way we think about ourselves is a big component of how we manage our finances.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “I am always willing to sacrifice and show up for others better than I am willing to sacrifice and show up for myself.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “I am the starring person in my life’s movie.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “Why minimize what I’m called to do in an effort to elevate what you’re called to do? We both are called.” - Patrice Washington
- “Humility doesn’t mean shrinking. Humility means standing tall, taking up space, allowing others to take up their space and not making others feel bad about who they are.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “Unfulfillment is the leading cause of financial mismanagement.” - Patrice Washington
- “If I’ve done the self work, then I don’t have to be intimidated by your accomplishments. I can applaud you and it takes away nothing from me.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “Giving credit to God doesn’t mean that you can’t credit yourself for doing the work.” - Patrice Washington
- “Churchism causes bondage and harm, but if God said it, we wouldn’t be in bondage.
- “God breaks chains, he doesn’t create them.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “A lot of us grew up saved, love the Lord, are Holy Ghost filled, yet we’re in bondage.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “There is a sadness that comes when you realize you never considered yourself.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “Things that come easily and naturally, we discount as ‘the gift’”. - Melissa Fredericks
- “Give yourself the grace to try.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “Clarity comes in the doing. The path to success is paved in trial and error.” - Patrice Washington
- “I have to make sure that I don’t become a caricature of myself trying to “people please” for others.” - Melissa Fredericks
- “Always bet on black. It’s okay to bet on yourself.” - Melissa Fredericks
Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions
And with that, let’s dig into Melissa’s responses to our Redefining Wealth Rapid Wisdom Questions.
“I define success as showing up as my authentic self.”
Define Wealth in 3 Words or Less:
“Peace. Love. Family.”
One Book that Has Redefined How You See Wealth:
The Good Girl’s Guide To Great Sex by Sheila Wray Gregoire
Fill-in the Blanks … “My name is ___ and the truth about wealth is ___”:
“My name is Melissa Fredericks and the truth about wealth is that betting on yourself will take you further than not.”
Join Purpose To Platform: https://patricewashington.com/purpose2platform/
To advertise on the podcast: http://www.patricewashington.com/podcastads
Become an Official Purpose Chaser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/redefiningwealthcommunity/?ref=bookmarks
To check out ALL of our past guests + episodes: http://www.patricewashington.com/Listen
If you have questions about booking Patrice or sponsoring the podcast, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find me in Social Media:
Our podcast hashtag is #RedefiningWealth