Support is Sexy Podcast with Elayne Fluker | Interviews with 500+ Successful Women Entrepreneurs!
747: How to Build a Mission-Driven Business and Be Propelled By Your Purpose with Sseko CEO Liz Bohannon
Manage episode 275439206 series 1174496
In this episode of Support is Sexy, Liz Bohannon founder of Sseko goes deep into how to set up a mission-driven business with global impact. Liz encourages us to choose proximity, empathy, and listening to do better in our businesses and our communities as she shares the impact that Sseko has had on women worldwide in providing opportunities, empowerment, and access. Listen for great reminders of why it’s important to be laser focused on your purpose in this episode of Support is Sexy.
Elayne Fluker is author of the new book, “Get Over ‘I Got It’: How to Stop Playing Superwoman, Get Support and Remember that Having It All Doesn’t Mean Doing It All Alone.” As host of the SUPPORT IS SEXY podcast, she interviews more than 500 successful women entrepreneurs around the world, who share inspiring, true stories of the ups and the downs of their entrepreneurial journeys. Elayne is also founder of SiS.Academy, an online learning platform for women entrepreneurs. For more information about Elayne Fluker, please visit elaynefluker.com. Thank you for listening!
About our Guest:
Liz Bohannon is Founder and CEO of Sseko, a socially conscious fashion brand that exists to create community and opportunity for academically gifted female scholars across the world. Seeko has been recognized by Bloomberg Businessweek as a top social enterprise. Liz is author of Beginner’s Pluck: Build your life of purpose, passion and impact now and host of podcast Plucking Up.
Insight from this episode:
- Strategies for connecting your mission and purpose to your business.
- Details on what Liz’s company has done to promote equity and become more anti-racist.
- Benefits of “breaking open your world” and advice on how to take the leap.
- An insider look at the ins and outs of how Liz’s community-based, ambassador-model business works and what she is doing to democratize social entrepreneurship.
Quotes from the show:
- “I didn’t find that passion [for my business] thinking about it. I actually built that passion in the processing of doing that thing.” –Liz Bohannon Support is Sexy Ep. #747
- “Running out of money and going broke was an incredible thing to happen because it forced me to get the product out into people's hands before I was ready because I was desperate.” –Liz Bohannon Support is Sexy Ep. #747
- “When you become a part of something that’s bigger than yourself, and when you get a vision for something that you actually think is going to make the world a little bit better and brighter, you’re willing to be pretty shameless about it.” –Liz Bohannon Support is Sexy Ep. #747
- “We’ve got women in Uganda who are able to leave abusive relationships because they are not financially dependent. And then guess what, we have women in the United States who get to leave abusive, unhealthy relationships because the first time in their life, they have a community of people who are saying, you don’t deserve that-- here’s a pathway toward building a life that could look a lot different.” –Liz Bohannon Support is Sexy Ep. #747
- “Purpose is something that needs to be baked into your business.” –Liz Bohannon Support is Sexy Ep. #747
Facebook: Elayne Fluker
LinkedIn: Elayne Fluker
Youtube: Elayne Fluker
Podcast: Plucking Up
Pinterest: Sseko Designs
Support is Sexy
Website: Support is Sexy Podcast
Facebook: Support is Sexy
Youtube: Support is Sexy Podcast Playlist
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry.
[Music: “Stomp and Clap” by Scott Holmes from Free Music Archive]