Support is Sexy Podcast with Elayne Fluker | Interviews with 500+ Successful Women Entrepreneurs!
772: Remove Your Mask
Manage episode 290401641 series 1174496
In this episode of Support is Sexy, CEO of Nonprofit HR Lisa Brown Alexander, who is featured in Elayne’s upcoming book, Get Over ‘I Got It,’ speaks about her experience in removing her mask, getting the support she needs, and prioritizing her mental health. Lisa also discusses why successful Black women are more likely to wear masks and why you need to get honest about whether or not your mask is weighing you down.
Elayne Fluker is the author of the new book, “Get Over ‘I Got It’: How to Stop Playing Superwoman, Get Support and Remember that Having It All Doesn’t Mean Doing It All Alone.” As host of the SUPPORT IS SEXY podcast, she interviews more than 500 successful women entrepreneurs around the world, who share inspiring, true stories of the ups and the downs of their entrepreneurial journeys. Elayne is also the founder of SiS.Academy, an online learning platform for women entrepreneurs. For more information about Elayne Fluker, please visit elaynefluker.com. Thank you for listening!
About our Guest:
Lisa Brown Alexander is the Founder and CEO of Nonprofit HR, the leading human resources firm in the country that works exclusively with the nonprofit sector in consulting, talent acquisition, executive search, and education. Lisa is the author of Strong on the Outside, Dying on the Inside. Lisa is also the Owner of luxury retreat destination Wellspring Manor & Spa in Maryland.
Insight from this episode:
- Why we wear masks and what it takes to free yourself of that burden.
- What to do when you’re tired of being tired and how to get over “I got it!”
- How to take a “Yes, and…” approach to mental health and wellness.
- Strategies for coping when your “drug of choice” is work and success.
Quotes from the show:
- “[T]hey don’t understand when you’re living with depression and you got your career and your spouse and you’re doing fine and your kids are great. It doesn’t make sense. Because it doesn’t make sense and that story is harder to tell, we hold that mask on tighter, so we look like we have it all together when in fact we’re falling apart.” –Lisa Brown Alexander Support is Sexy Ep. #770
- “I had a great good corporate job, corner office, the whole nine yards, and the second I would get in my car, I would start crying.” –Lisa Brown Alexander Support is Sexy Ep. #770
- “We are whole persons. We have our spiritual component, a mental component, an emotional, a financial. Tend to each of those aspects of yourself by seeing the people who can support those aspects of yourself.” –Lisa Brown Alexander Support is Sexy Ep. #770
- “Talking is a key part of mental health, healing and wellness, and unpacking and unloading those things that are causing crisis in your mental health.” –Lisa Brown Alexander Support is Sexy Ep. #770
- “So many of us do not take the time to retreat, and relax, and restore.” –Lisa Brown Alexander Support is Sexy Ep. #770
- “Be honest with yourself and be okay saying no, I can’t do that.” –Lisa Brown Alexander Support is Sexy Ep. #770
Facebook: Elayne Fluker
LinkedIn: Elayne Fluker
Youtube: Elayne Fluker
Lisa Brown Alexander
LinkedIn: Lisa Brown Alexander
Support is Sexy
Website: Support is Sexy Podcast
Facebook: Support is Sexy
Youtube: Support is Sexy Podcast Playlist
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry.
[Music: “Stomp and Clap” by Scott Holmes from Free Music Archive]
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices