Manage episode 333504257 series 2795370
Have you ever thought to yourself, "Our relationship is a mess!"?
I know I've thought that in different seasons along the way. What I wanted was a healthy, connected relationship with Kim…
…but at times it's felt hopeless — like we would never be okay.
And often in those difficult moments, my feelings got deeply centered on my own emotional pain. It wasn't just "we" would never be okay, but that translated to "I" would never be okay.
But just a few years into our marriage, I stumbled across a common relational dynamic that described exactly what I was feeling. Not only did I finally begin to understand what was happening between me and Kim. I also found hope that we could get out of this downward spiral we kept finding ourselves in.
Plus, I found out that I could be okay — even if things weren't going the way I wanted them to.
In this episode, we'll share our personal story of relational dysfunction and some of the first steps it took to move beyond our debilitating, unhealthy patterns.
- How good intentions can unintentionally become dysfunctional — and unhelpful
- Why it's easy for blended family couples to slide into codependency traps with each other, with the kids or even with former spouses
- Practical steps to breaking free from unhealthy relational patterns
Resources from this Episode:
- Resources from Melody Beattie
- Episode 108 - 3 Unity Breakers that are Detrimental to Your Connection and How You Can Avoid Them
- Episode 98 - Is Fear of Being Vulnerable Keeping You From Loving Your Spouse Wholeheartedly?
- Episode 98 - 4 Simple Principles for Setting Healthy Boundaries with Kids
- Episode 61 - How to Partner Well as a Stepparent…Even if You Feel Stuck on the Outside (Part 1)
- Episode 59 - Why Are You Stuck in a Parent-Child Allegiance (Part 1)
- Episode 30 - Should Stepparents WANT Authority with their Step-Kids?
- Episode 27 - How to Set Clear Boundaries and Safeguard Relationships
- Episode 14 - 3 Helpful Steps to Overcome Your "Perfectionistic" Ideals and Disappointments
Articles from Stepmom Laura Petherbridge:
Ready for some extra support?
We all need some extra support along the blending journey — we're here to help. You can connect with us for a free coaching call to see how we might help you experience more clarity, confidence and connection in your home. Schedule your free call here: https://calendly.com/mikeandkimcoaching/freesession
Want to be a founding member of our community? Just email us at email@example.com or Message us on Facebook or Instagram. Let us know that you're interested and we'll send you a link to get started. We can't wait to hear from you!