Manage episode 334801616 series 2795370
We're betting you want to experience teamwork, connection, and peace in your blended family journey.
But if you're anything like us, the complex emotions and unexpected relational tension might be taking you by surprise. You're not alone. We struggled with the pain that comes with all that for years.
All too often, Kim felt like the rope in a tug-of-war between her daughter and Mike. She wanted everyone to feel loved and to be happy, but felt like she had to choose between Annika and Mike. She felt trapped.
On the other hand, Mike often felt like an outsider in his own home. He wanted to be acknowledged, included and heard, but he felt stranded — like he just didn't "fit" into Kim and Annika's close relationship.
In our pain, we tended to react in ways that didn't help. Then we would feel stuck.
Stuck in our pain
Stuck in confusion
Stuck in conflict
And the good news is that we discovered ways to get unstuck, and now we help blended family couples move beyond the tensions of feeling trapped and stranded too.
Hop into this episode to start learning how…
- One of the most common dynamics for blended couples - that often creates disconnection, confusion and pain
- Two natural reactions that can makes things worse
- Two tips to help you stay connected and reduce tension even when you're feeling Trapped or Stranded
Resources from this Episode:
- Episode 22 - 1 Simple - and Romantic - Way to Combat Being Stranded or Trapped
- Episode 23 - How to Move From Feeling Stranded to Being Connected
- Episode 24 - What if You Could Relieve the Trapped Teammate Pressure?
- Episode 39 - How to Create Strong Bonds with Resistant Step-Kids
- Episode 49 - Should Your Highest Priority be Your Marriage…or Your Kids?
- Episode 59 - Why Are You Stuck in a Parent-Child Allegiance (Part 1)
- Episode 61 - How to Partner Well as a Stepparent…Even if You Feel Stuck on the Outside (Part 1)
- We mentioned Patricia Papernow's book: Surviving And Thriving in Stepfamily Relationships
Ready for some extra support?
We all need some extra support along the blending journey — we're here to help. You can connect with us for a free coaching call to see how we might help you experience more clarity, confidence and connection in your home. Schedule your free call here: https://calendly.com/mikeandkimcoaching/freesession
Subscribe or Follow the Show
Are you subscribed or following the podcast yet? If not, we want to encourage you do that today so you don't miss a single episode.