Manage episode 274091515 series 151259
MG Siegler returns to the show to talk about Apple Watch, the future of premium TV and movies, and a preview of next week’s “Hi, Speed” Apple event.
- Nest Payroll: Easily pay your nanny, caregiver, or housekeeper quickly and legally. Use promocode talkshow30 to get your first 30 days free.
- Squarespace: Make your next move. Use code talkshow for 10% off your first order.
- Feals: Premium CBD delivered directly to your doorstep. Get 50% off your first order with free shipping.
- MG on Apple Watch Series 6, and why he swapped Graphite stainless steel for blue aluminum.
- MG on App Clips and the Clip demo of the game Phoenix 2.
- “Apple, Influence, and Ive” — Ben Clymer’s 2018 profile of Jony Ive for Hodinkee.
- The seminal 2018 town hall meeting led by John Stankey, the longtime AT&T executive who now oversees HBO, that foreshadowed HBO’s decline.
- Christopher Nolan’s work on the 2018 50th anniversary “unrestored” print of Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Nolan’s ill-advised decision to force Tenet into theaters amidst the COVID pandemic.
- Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol — perhaps the best film in a great series, directed by Brad Bird.
- Cary Joji Fukunaga — director of the astounding first season of True Detective and the upcoming No Time to Die James Bond film.
- Michael Clayton — quietly great movie by Tony Gilroy, starring George Clooney.
- DisneyQuest, the aborted urban entertainment center in Philly that Disney never built in the late 1990s.
- United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. — 1948 Supreme Court antitrust case that resulted in movie studios being banned from owning theaters.
This episode of The Talk Show was edited by Caleb Sexton.