Episode 5: Lavesh Pritmani – Founder and CEO of Learn Bhangra and his story on building a business from your passion
Manage episode 214157216 series 2322387
“Bhangra is a dance that combines both energy and grace.” – Lavesh Pritmani
Bhangra is an energetic, folk dance and music form that originated from Punjab, India. Today, it’s the newest dance, music, and fitness phenomenon spreading all over the world. Lavesh began teaching Bhangra in 2006, and for 10 years, he taught 300+ students and started the independent Bhangra movement in North Carolina. Lavesh learned the folk elements of Bhangra from his coach from India. This completely transformed Lavesh’s approach towards Bhangra, and showed him how Bhangra’s teachings of discipline, confidence, and respect could be incorporated into everyday life.
Lavesh and his team have now expanded the Learn Bhangra app to workshops, choreography, and instructor certifications around the world. Lavesh is extremely talented and his story is fascinating – he built this app from a simple idea to a global phenomenon. With further ado, please enjoy my conversation with Lavesh Pritmani.
Listen to the podcast! (And please leave a review if you enjoyed it!)
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save link as.”
- Listen on one of the podcast players below:
- Lavesh’s first exposure in Bhangra and how it kickstarted his love and passion for the dance (2:14)
- The renaissance and history of competitive Bhangra (5:25)
- The history and viewpoint of Bhangra dance according to Lavesh (6:58)
- The difference between energy and grade in Bhangra (9:50)
- How Lavesh developed the knowledge and vernacular of Bhangra steps (10:15)
- The importance of having a teacher for Bhangra for Lavesh (12:35)
- The story behind the creation of Lavesh’s Learn Bhangra App (Taco Bell is involved!) (17:29)
- The coolest moment of Lavesh’s interaction with a fan in Singapore (26:15).
- Lavesh’s workshop in Mexico and how he used Google Translate to communicate (28:00)
- The future of Learn Bhangra and how they plan to expand (30:02)
- The evolution of Bhangra music and Lavesh’s take on best Bhangra songs to learn (37:12)
- The first move Lavesh would recommend at your next South Asian party (42:16)
- Lavesh’s Rapid Fire question answers (44:00)
- What purchase of $100 or less that have most improved your life in the last 6 months?
- When you think of a South Asian person you look up to, who would you say comes to mind and why
- What is a movie or book that has the most impact on you?
- If you had to give an up-and-coming South Asian person in your field, what advice would you give them and why?
- Do you have any final asks for the audience? Anything you’d like to leave them with?
Selected Links + People
- Bruin Bhangra
- Ludhiana, Punjab
- Bhangra Teams Forum
- Daily Bhangra
- Mundian To Bach Ke – Panjabi MC ft. Jay Z
- DJ Rekha
- Sidhu Moosewala
- Sir Kadhve – KS Makhan
- Moorni – Panjabi MC
- Has Has – DJ Surinder Rattan
- Arminder Gill
- Vanjhali Vaja
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Connect with Lavesh
South Asian Stories is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.